What is Coronavirus?
Coronaviruses (CoV) are a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases like pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure, and even death.
There are 3 types of Coronavirus:
1) Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV)-It was first identified in the year 2003 in China.
2) Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV)-It was first identified in the year 2012 in Saudi Arabia.
3) A novel coronavirus (nCoV) is a new strain that has not been previously identified in humans. It is recently identified in 2019 in China. It is originated in Wuhan city of China and thus can also be sometimes called Wuhan Coronavirus.
Below given is all the information required to know about newly found virus nCoV or Wuhan Coronavirus:
Source of Coronavirus Outbreak
One of the wild animal selling market of Wuhan, where all wild animals get sold for the meat. Most of the workers who were working in that Wuhan’s market got infected. Pangolins, bats, dog, cat, snakes and mostly all animal flesh are available on sale in that market. It is an illegal market to sell these wild animals. Research is still going which animals caused the coronavirus outbreak. Mostly it is assumed that this virus has originated from pangolins, bats or snakes.
Which part of the world it is affecting most so far?
Which cities in India are more prone to coronavirus?
There are a total of 110 confirmed cases of coronavirus and 2 deaths till far in India. This virus is contagious. It spreads in contact with a person who already is affected. It is not depending on the location. In short, just avoid the places where people are already infected from this disease and are more prone to cold and cough.
Vital Precautions that every person need to follow
Some facts about Novel Coronavirus:
1. This is only the fifth time that the World Health Organization has declared a public health emergency of international concern.
2. It is safe to receive parcels from China or other corona infected countries. Coronaviruses do not survive long on objects, such as letters or packages.
3. It is safe to keep pets at home like cats and dogs. There is no evidence proving pets causing coronavirus.
4. No antibiotics are proved in treating coronavirus. They are used to treat bacterias, not viruses.
How fatal is coronavirus?
Coronavirus is having symptoms ranging from basic flu and cold to fever or pneumonia and in worst cases to severe acute respiratory diseases and death. It also depends on the age of the person. People who are older and are more than 65 years of age are more chances to get affected rather than 25 years young man. Also, small babies who have less than 3 years of age also have more chances to get affected. As small babies immune system is still in the developing stage. To summarise, people with low or weaker immune systems have more chances to get affected.
Total deaths till far
There are 125048 confirmed cases till far and it is continuously rising. 6500 people have died till far and the toll is rising.
Preventive measures to take for coronavirus
There is no vaccine currently available to treat novel coronavirus, but WHO is recommending several precautionary and hygienic measures. For example:
1. Avoid direct contact with people suffering from acute respiratory infections.
2. Wash your hands frequently, especially after direct contact with the sick or their surroundings.
3. Direct contact with farm animals or wild animals, living or dead should be avoided.
4. Any person with symptoms of a severe respiratory infection should try to keep their distance from other people and cover their nose and mouth when sneezing or coughing.
Home remedies for coronavirus
A person who is having low immunity is at high risk of any virus be it common cold or coronavirus. So try to intake the food which strengthens your immunity. Basically foods that are rich in Vitamin-C need to be taken. They are Ginger, Guava, Orange, Amla, and green leafy vegetables.
Foods that need to be avoided are Refined Sugar or white sugar which curb your immune system, processed foods, alcohol, not properly or partially cooked meat and eggs.
Is coronavirus contagious?
Yes, coronavirus is very contagious. Those who are suffering from cold, flu should use a face mask in public. It is also required to maintain a distance from people who are suffering from cold. Also, use face masks in public areas or hospitals to avoid the chances of catching viruses. No physical touch or contact should be made to a person suffering from cold.
Treatment of coronavirus
Currently, there is no treatment for coronavirus. However, you can still reduce the symptoms of common cold and pneumonia with standard medicines. Vaccination against respiratory illnesses is highly recommended at this moment to protect your health.
How can I protect myself from coronavirus?
1. Wash your hands frequently
Wash your hands frequently with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand rub if your hands are not visibly dirty.
2. Practice respiratory hygiene
When coughing and sneezing, cover your mouth and nose with flexed elbow/tissue and discard tissue immediately into a closed bin and clean your hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
3.Maintain social distancing
Maintain at least 1 meter (3 feet) distance between yourself and other people specifically those who are coughing, sneezing and have a fever.
4. Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth
5. If you have fever, cough and difficulty breathing, seek medical care early.
Tell your health care provider if you have traveled in an area in China where 2019-nCoV has been reported, or if you have been in close contact with someone who has traveled from China and has respiratory symptoms.
6. If you have mild respiratory symptoms and no travel history to China
If you have mild respiratory symptoms and no travel history to China then its better to stay at home until you get recovered.
7. Precaution around the animal market
Whenever you are visiting any live animal product markets, carefully follow general hygiene measures.
8. Avoid consumption of raw or undercooked animal products
Handle raw meat, milk or animal organs with care, to avoid cross-contamination with uncooked foods, as per good food safety practices.
Request to Public
- People who are thinking to visit China in upcoming months should cancel their visit.
- Its humble request for every citizen reading this article to face this public health emergency with preparedness and don’t panic at all.
- Don’t spread unnecessary rumors and havoc on social media.
Detailed information on novel coronavirus, including daily situation reports, can be found on the WHO website.